Welcome to Residence Life information and instructions

The following information will assist you in completing MyHousing Self-Service. It explains choosing a roommate, answering personal preference questions, and the different meal plan options. Please read it carefully before completing MyHousing Self-Service.

Choosing a roommate

It is the philosophy of Residence Life that a university education should include out of classroom learning experiences for well-rounded experiences. In our residence hall setting, you are encouraged to:

  • develop an awareness of and respect for the rights of others
  • understand the responsibilities of community living
  • develop a sense of independence and self-discipline
  • enhance relationships with people of diverse backgrounds
  • encounter new ideas, attitudes, and value systems
  • become a productive citizen of our campus and town community
  • and explore opportunities for involvement and leadership

The selection of roommates is a critical factor in this learning process and has the potential to enhance your development. Whether you choose someone you have known for years as a roommate, or opt to have the staff match you based on your personal preference responses, there will be many new things that you will learn about the person as you live with them. How will they deal with their new found freedom? How will you? Are their living habits compatible with yours? What will happen when you both begin to meet new people and enjoy their company as well as each other's? We realize that it is difficult to predict the answers to these questions now, but this is what we mean by new learning experiences. A residence hall is all about people, how they live, think, feel, and deal with the day to day happenings in their lives. Words to keep in mind: flexibility, tolerance, communication. It is our goal to help you refine these qualities through your experiences with your roommate(s) and others on your wing, hall and university community.

Choosing a Roommate: If you wish to request a roommate(s) you will need to log in to MyHousing Self-Service and enter a roommate request. You will need that person’s name and BU ID # to make the request. Please be sure to notify them that you have made a request to be roommates as they must go on and accept/confirm the request. We will only honor mutual roommate requests.

Personal Preference Questions

While some freshmen opt to pick their roommate, many prefer to be assigned roommates based on the personal preference questions. Survey results indicate that many students want to be assigned a roommate for a new experience, to meet new people or because they don't know anyone coming to Bloomsburg. The personal preference questions are designed to help us match students who have compatible living habits. No assignment system can ever guarantee that all matches will be successful. This includes requesting a specific roommate(s). Realizing this fact, we use this process in the hope of significantly reducing those conflict factors most commonly responsible for roommate disharmony.

The personal preference questions are used to make roommate assignments for those students who do not request a roommate (or who lose a roommate prior to arrival). While we recommend that parents/guardians and students discuss these questions, it is important that the student complete MyHousing Self-Service. We base roommate assignments on these answers so honest responses help us make the best possible match. Please answer all Personal Preference questions even if you are requesting a specific roommate.

Selecting a Meal Plan

Bloomsburg University has partnered with "ARAMARK" services to provide the dining services on campus. On campus sales volume exceeds $10 million annually. Residence Hall students are required to have a meal plan. All plans include $250 or $300 in FLEX, except in summer. The meal plan chosen in the fall will automatically be re-assigned for the spring semester unless the student chooses to change the meal plan within the defined dates.
FLEX is a declining balance account accessed by your meal card. FLEX use includes, but is not limited to: supplementing a meal beyond cash equivalency, snacks during scheduled food service hours, a catered event, gourmet coffee or candy, purchase of a gift basket or special food item for someone special. FLEX may be used at any food service outlet on campus. FLEX carries over from Fall to Spring, but must be used by the end of Spring semester each year. There is no FLEX during the summer.
Your Student ID is also your Meal and FLEX card. Your photo is taken during summer Orientation days and you pick up your ID at Residence Hall/Apartment check in when you return in August.
To keep your meal plan costs low, only you are permitted to use your card. Use of the card by another person could result in a fine and/or disciplinary action.
19, 14 and 10 meal per week plans only provide for 3 meals/day Monday through Friday (2 meals/day on Saturday and Sunday) with not more than one meal in any meal zone. If you want to eat more than one meal per zone the 275 Block plan should be chosen. Meal zone hours are:
Zone Start Time End Time
Breakfast 7:00A 10:29A
Lunch 10:30A 3:59P
Dinner 4:00P 9:29P
Late Night 9:30P 12:00A (Midnight)
Yes, but only during the first week of the semester. Residence hall students can only choose from specified traditional or block meal plans. Traditional meal plans available provide 19, 14 or 10 meals per week. Block plans available provide 275 or 175 meals per semester. Each plan has unique benefits and different usage rules. After that, the only change you can make is to add to your FLEX dollars.
YES! You can use your meal card (using meal or cash equivalency, FLEX or Husky Gold) at any of the following dining facilities: Husky Lounge, Roongo’s, Starbucks, Subway, Steak ‘n Shake, Chik-fil-A, Qdoba Mexican Eats and Monty's.
Facility Offerings
Scranton Commons Features freshly prepared "all you care to eat" meals.
Steak 'n Shake® Located on ground floor in the Scranton Commons, is a classic American brand famous for the original Steakburger and hand-dipped milkshakes
Husky Lounge Located in Kehr Union, offers Burger Studio, Home Zone, Montague’s Deli, Husky Fried Chicken, and Express grab and go options.
Monty's Renovated Summer 2017, is a quaint eatery located on the upper campus with a stunning view of the Susquehanna Valley. In addition to many comfort foods, Monty's offers rotisserie chicken, quesadillas and specialty burgers. It also hosts 'Restaurant Night' each Wednesday which provides students a way of getting away from campus without actually leaving.
Starbucks® Located on the first floor of the library and lower level of the Scranton Commons and offers breakfast items and drinks. Cash, FLEX, Husky Gold, Visa/MasterCard only.
Roongo's Located in the Warren Student Services Center, offers a deli, soups, entrée of the day and fresh-baked bakery items. Cash, FLEX, Husky Gold, Visa/MasterCard only.
Espresso Cart Located on the ground floor of the Warren Student Services Center offers, sushi to go, homemade confections and of course, as the name implies a variety of coffee.
Subway® Located on the lower level of the Scranton Commons offers fresh-made subs and beverages. Cash, FLEX, Husky Gold, Visa/MasterCard only.
Chick-fil-A® Located on the ground floor of Soltz Hall and right next to Qdoba Mexican Eats and the University Store. It has those world famous chicken sandwiches.
Qdoba Mexican Eats® Located on the ground floor of Soltz Hall and right next to Chick-fil-A and the University Store. The name says it all!
Notify any campus dining manager of special restrictions or needs. The staff dietitian offers nutrition consultation on a by appointment basis. Nutritional information about most food items offered in the campus dining facilities can be found at: http://bloomu.campusdish.com/. Choose the meal zone and location you plan to visit. From there highlight the menu item offered to see the nutritional information associated with it.
Sick trays may be obtained by a friend or roommate as long as arrangements are made in advance with the Food Service Manager.
Plan Description
Plan A Offers 3 meals on weekdays, plus 2 meals on weekend days for a total of 19 meals per week.
Plan B Offers any 14 meals served during a one week cycle (Monday through Sunday up to 3 meals per weekday and up to 2 meals per weekend day).
Plan C Offers any 10 meals served during a one week cycle (Monday through Sunday up to 3 meals per weekday and up to 2 meals per weekend day).
Plan E Offers 175 meals during the semester with limited use restrictions.
Plan G Offers 275 meals during the semester with no use limits per meal zones.

All meal plans provide access to the Scranton Commons for "all-you-care-to-eat" meals and come with cash equivalency, and a starting FLEX balance. The meal plan rates are based on having $250 FLEX as indicated by the number 1 after the letter. Or students may choose a starting flex balance of $300 indicated by the number 2 after the letter. Cost for all meal plans can be found at http://www.bloomu.edu/mealplan.

Note: The Plan D (5 meal per week) and Plan F (75 meal per semester) plans are options for on-campus apartment and off campus students only and include $300 flex. There is no $250 flex option for Plan D or Plan F.

See How Meal Plans Work for complete details on how the dining service program works at Bloomsburg University.

Housing Types

All residence halls and campus apartments are single gender within the room or apartment and non-smoking.

Residence Life's housing initiatives are a response to the needs and changing preferences of our students reflected by surveys, pilot studies and continuing consultation with Residence Hall and Campus Apartment students. The majority of students are assigned to coed side-by-side housing as this is the most common and preferred type of housing available.

  • Single Gender Floor: students on the floor/wing are all of the same gender (limited rooms available). To request placement on a single gender floor or wing email buhouse@bloomu.edu no later than June 1 for fall admits and December 15 for spring admits. We cannot guarantee to meet your request but we will consider and accommodate it if possible.
  • Coed Side-by-Side Residence Hall: two students may be assigned a room next door to a room housing two male students.
  • Coed in Room Residence Hall/Apartment: coed or gender inclusive housing is available on the 2nd floor east wing of Northumberland Hall or in the Montgomery Place Apartments only. Current on-campus students interested in coed living must complete the HOST process and select housing in one of these areas. New students must email buhouse@bloomu.edu no later than June 1 for fall admits and December 15 for spring admits to request placement in one of these areas. Students will be assigned as space is available.
  • Suite Style Residence Hall: range in size from 1 to 4-person single bedroom, shared bathroom and common space suites; limited availability 4-person/2-bedroom, shared bathroom suites.
  • On-Campus Apartments: range in size from 2 to 6-person single bedroom apartments or 4-person/2-bedroom shared bedroom apartments.
  • 12 Month Housing: this housing is only available to students who submit an advance written request stating WHY they need housing over semester & holiday breaks. Students must also submit an Interim Housing Agreement to secure housing over breaks (upon notification that the agreement is available). Housing and dining charges will be applied at that time.

There is a gender neutral bathroom on the 2nd floor east wing of Northumberland Hall. Students will be randomly assigned to all residence halls, however if you prefer placement in this area please email buhouse@bloomu.edu no later than June 1 for fall admits and December 15 for spring admits. Gender neutral means the bathroom is available for both male and female use at the same time. There is also be a female bathroom on 2 East and male and female bathrooms on 2 West.


Triple Accommodations

In order to accommodate all students who request or are required to live on campus, some new students are tripled at the beginning of the semester. We have been tripling new students for 25-years and we make every effort to de-triple those rooms as quickly as possible with many being de-tripled within the first few weeks of the semesters. Each tripled room is furnished with a bunk bed and a loft system.

Tripling is not done for profit, but as the best way to accommodate demand for on-campus housing. Tripled students who during the course of the semester, have one student leave the room, will be credited as outlined in the triple credit policy. The credit will be applied toward outstanding bills or if your account is paid in full, the difference will be refunded to you. The credit does not apply to students in voluntary triples, triads, suites or quads.

Physical/Medical Considerations

If you have any condition or disability you believe requires special assignment consideration, submit documentation from a physician/medical professional to the Department of Equity and Accommodations (DoEA) and the Student Health Center. Documentation stating (1) your specific condition, and (2) any special needs you have related to this condition. They will review those materials and make a recommendation to our office of how best to meet your needs.

The University will make room assignments in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the University will make every reasonable effort to provide equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination for all members of the University community and visitors to the University. Consistent with the commitment to maintaining an environment of dignity and respect, also house students that are free from all forms of harassment and discrimination, whether because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, content observed on social media or any other characteristic protected by law. Students can be assured that accommodations will be provided in a non-discriminatory manner, be comparable, convenient, and accessible, and will be at or less than the cost assigned to other students.

Air Conditioning (A/C)

All campus apartments, the new residential suites, Columbia and Elwell Halls are air conditioned. A limited number of rooms in other residence halls have been designated as air conditioned rooms; either with a wall-mounted or window air conditioner. The wall-mounted units will be turned on at the beginning of each semester and will remain on throughout the semester. The window units have been permanently installed to reasonably withstand winter temperatures and will NOT be removed at any time.

All rooms equipped with air conditioning are billed at a higher rate than regular non-air conditioned rooms.

  • Floor Model Air Conditioner
    • For reasons of need or convenience, you may provide your own floor model only air conditioning unit not to exceed 10,000 BTU's with no fee charged by the university. You do not need to submit an AC Request Form or doctor's note to bring your own floor model unit. Click here to view images of a permitted floor model. Students may not provide or install their own window air conditioner.

Learning Communities

Learning Communities are all by invitation only. For more information you can visit the Learning Communities website at http://lc.bloomu.edu/.

Computer use in the halls

Information is available for getting connected to the on-campus network at the Residential Computing web site at http://rescomp.bloomu.edu.

All students residing in residence halls and apartments are provided high speed wireless access that is included at no additional charge. All rooms, and select common areas in apartments, have Ethernet jacks installed, but are inactive. The cost to maintain both a wired and wireless network access system is high with less than 10% of students opting for wired connections. As a result, most of the infrastructure that supported the wired network has been deactivated in an effort to keep housing rates as low as practical. A limited number of wired connections are still available, but at an additional charge. Computers that do not have wireless cards in them (i.e. desktop computers) are typically easy to convert with the purchase of a wireless network card or USB adapter that is most often less expensive that the cost to activate deactivated network jacks.

The University requires minimum computer hardware and software specifications prior to granting access to the University's computer network. Refer to the Residential Computing web site for guidelines for getting connected. Computers can usually be configured to meet the University standards prior to moving in which can get you up and running upon arrival to campus.

All questions and concerns can be emailed to rescomp@bloomu.edu. The Residential Computing web site also has a service request form for anyone having problems in getting connected.

Meningitis Vaccine

As of August 2002, Pennsylvania state law requires that all students residing in campus owned facilities must either have received the meningitis vaccine or agree to the online waiver after having received information concerning the benefits of this vaccine. This information must be completed before you move into the residence halls.

Certain college students are at increased risk for meningococcal disease; potentially fatal bacterial infection commonly referred to as meningitis. In fact students living in dorms are found to have a six-fold increased risk for the disease. The American College Health Association recommends that college students, particularly first-year students living in residence halls, learn more about meningitis and vaccination.

Pennsylvania has passed (Senate Bill 955) stating all students residing in a residence hall or housing unit must have the vaccine or sign a declination statement after having received information concerning the benefits of the meningitis vaccine.

Meningitis is rare. But when it strikes, this potentially fatal bacterial disease can lead to swelling of fluid surrounding the brain and spinal column as well as severe and permanent disabilities, such as hearing loss, brain damage, seizures, limb amputation and even death.
Meningococcal meningitis is spread through the air via respiratory secretions or close contact with an infected person. This can include coughing, sneezing, kissing or sharing items like utensils, cigarettes and drinking glasses.
Symptoms of meningococcal meningitis often resemble the flu and can include high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, rash nausea, vomiting, lethargy and confusion.
Certain college students, particularly first-year students who live in dormitories or residence halls, have been found to have an increased risk for meningococcal meningitis. Other undergraduates can also consider vaccination to reduce their risk for the disease.

Please remember that when submitting the on-line agreement, you are indicating that you understand the responsibilities that students undertake while they reside on campus.

Please Note:

  • Summer and Fall roommate requests must be submitted in MyHousing no later than June 1. Spring roommate requests must be submitted in MyHousing by December 15. Roommate requests will be honored whenever possible provided the requests are received by the assigned deadline.
  • Special housing accommodation requests must be submitted by June 1 for Summer, July 1 for Fall and December 15 for Spring.
  • Summer housing assignments will be available in MyHousing in mid-June for New Students and two weeks prior to the start of your scheduled summer session for Returning Students.
  • Fall housing assignments will be available in MyHousing in early August.
  • Spring housing assignments will be available in MyHousing in early January.
If you wish to begin your online application, please continue to MyHousing Self Service.