The Visitation Policy for students living in Bloomsburg University's residence halls has been developed in an effort to balance student privileges with academic demands and the rights of occupants not hosting a guest. It should be noted that visitation on BU's campus is a privilege, not a right. Students violating this privilege or the rights of others may be subject to the loss of some or all visitation privileges up to the loss of campus housing.
A mature attitude is necessary when exercising your freedom and responsibility regarding guests in the residence halls and apartments. Visitation procedures are in place to provide a measure of safety for the residential communities. Please understand that any system is only as safe as those whom are using it allow it to be. Safety is a shared responsibility. Your cooperation in escorting your guest and informing visitors of our visitation/escort policies when entering any on-campus residence is expected. Failure to comply with visitation procedures will result in disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
All overnight guests must be registered online via our guest registration
No children under the age of 16 years old are permitted to stay overnight or for periods exceeding one hour without supervision of a legal guardian, unless special permission is given or it is a recognized university special event, i.e. Siblings Weekend. This would include providing childcare/babysitting. Violations of this policy may lead to the loss of campus housing.
A guest is considered anyone that is not assigned to a specific room. Therefore, a guest can be a non-BU student, family member, BU student, off-campus student, a resident of another hall or a resident of the same hall.
- Must be escorted by your host at all times when walking throughout the residence hall.
- Must enter/exit the building through the front doors.
- Must be specifically invited by a resident in order to be permitted into the residence hall.
- May visit the assigned room of the host only if there is advance consent from all of the residents living in the room. This must be done in accordance with the specific visitation policies established by the University.
- We reserve the right to ask guests to leave if they are causing a disturbance.
- Are limited to two per resident and only two weekends per month.
- Are only permitted when a host obtains the advance consent of all roommates to have overnight guests.
The following information outlines the Visitation Policy and Procedures:
- You may have guests Monday – Thursday from 10:00A – 1:00A
- 24 hour guest visitation period begins Friday morning 10:00A and extends until Sunday night/Monday morning at 1:00A.
- You must register overnight guests online.
- Guests who are not registered will result in a loss of the visitation privilege.
- Only a maximum of six (6) guests per room/apartment is allowed at any time.
- Each student is responsible for his/her own conduct and that of his/her guest(s) in conjunction with the social conduct policies stated in the Pilot.
- Students are permitted to have visitors in their rooms only if there is no objection from their roommate(s). In case of a disagreement between roommates, the person without the guest will retain priority.
- Violations of the visitation policy will be referred to Residence Life/Dean of Students staff. Persistent violation of the policy by an individual or residential community may result in the loss of visitation privileges and/or termination of the Residence Hall Agreement.
There may be additional overnight visitation restrictions for non-BU students during Block Party weekend.