Interested in becoming a CA for Fall 2020 - Spring 2021?
Application available beginning November 12, 2019.
The overall goal of a Community Assistant is to serve as a peer educator and helper while facilitating the personal and academic growth and development of residential students. CAs are chosen on the basis of leadership experiences, interpersonal skills, interest in working with students to develop a positive floor/hall/apartment community, and willingness to be actively involved in their own personal growth and development. CAs are expected to live out the CORE Values of the Office of Residence Life: Service, Caring, Respect, Dedication, Integrity, Inclusion and Education.
What do CAs do?
- Community building
- Build relationships with residents
- Event planning
- Respond to residents needs
- Staff responsibilities
- Attend all trainings and Staff Development activities
- Assist with all openings/closings
- Weekly staff meetings
- Periodic meetings with GHD
- Outside tasks
- One night a week and every other weekend
- includes 2-3 hour desk shift
- Apartment CAs work front desk daytime shifts
- Crisis response
- Generally available to residents
- Room fee waived
- Residence Hall-Single Occupancy, Suites/Apartments - Single Bedrooms
- Apartments include a utility fee waiver
- Stipend of $7.25/ hour for 14 hours/week
CA Eligibility Requirements
What we are looking for: You must meet these requirements in order to be considered for the position.
- Undergraduate student
- Good Academic Standing with at least a 2.40 cumulative GPA as of January 2020
- Good Judicial Standing with no current disciplinary sanctions
- Unsure? Check your standing with the Dean of Students office at (570) 389-4304
- Available for the full academic year
- Ineligible if doing any of the following during the 2020 - 2021 year:
- Student teaching
- Studying abroad
- Internship (more than 6 credits)
- Transferring in Jan '21
- Graduating in Dec '20
- Moving off campus in Jan '21
- Must have gone through the H.O.S.T. process (if you currently live off-campus you need to contact Michele Stout at email@example.com)
- All successful candidates must complete a full background check.
- All CAs may not be employed in another on-campus position (with the exception of Aramark-Food Service and the University Store.)
- Must be available to begin work on Friday, August 7, 2020
While it is not a requirement, we highly encourage you to:
- Complete the Center for Leadership and Engagement’s Leadership Development Level One Certification Program. See the Center for Leadership and Engagement in Northumberland Hall for more information.
- Have experience living on campus
- Be actively engaged on campus
Get more information by attending any of the following CA interest sessions:
|Wednesday, December 4, 2019
|Thursday, December 5, 2019
||Kehr Union Ballroom
|Wednesday, January 22, 2020
|Thursday, January 23, 2020
Application will be available beginning 11/12/19
Questions? Contact Ben Staub, Area Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (570) 389-4845